November 1 -- All Saints' Day -- Grandma's Soup Day

Mary Margaret Stout Clifford was born 1 April 1890 and died in July of 1990. She had always wanted to live to be 100! When she was in her 80's she would write and tell me about going to play piano for the "old people". She was a remarkable woman. She was Raf's maternal grandmother.

When the weather begins to chill, one of the first cold weather meals I cook is "Grandma's Soup". This is one of Raf's favorite things to eat.

I want to share this and another soup recipe with anyone who might want to try it this year. I am making up things and freezing them so Raf will have food while I am in the hospital. These soups freeze really well. Both recipes are at the end of this post.

Yesterday was my second trip to Carter Blood Bank. It didn't go as badly as last week. I was fairly weak by the time I got in the car, but I didn't pass out. So that was good.

Last night Carolyn came over and handed out Halloween candy because we were both "tuckered" out! We had loads of kid, so she told us.

Today I registered at the hospital, Palo Pinto General Hosptial, for my Monday surgery. I also had to do some more lab work so they could determine if I need an antibiotic. The registration took about an hour, and they woman who does that was bright, positive, and pleasant. I am to be at the hospital at 6:30 am, go to the lab to sign that the blood I have is mine, and then go to day surgery. I will go into surgery about 7:30 and should be out by about 10. Carolyn and Christi are both coming to sit with Raf while I am in surgery.

NOW for the soups:

Grandma's Vegetable Soup
28 oz stewed tomatos
1 1/2 to 2 lb. lean stew meat
2 T navy beans
2 T split peas
2 T barley
2 medium onions, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped, or celery flakes
1 piece of chopped cabbage
2 carrots, chopped
2 T frozen lima beans
2 tsp. sugar
1 small potato, chopped
salt and pepper to taste
1 small can of corn

Grandma's recipe says add first 6 ingredients and cook until beans are soft before seasoning. Add carrots and cabbage about 1 hour before done. Add lima beans 15 minutes before serving, and add corn last.

I put it all in together and cook it all day. I often add the sugar last...the sugar makes the soup.

This is much better if not eaten until the day after it is cooked.

````````
Louise's 7-Can Soup

I have modified this somewhat since I got it from my good friend, Louise:

1 can Ranch Style Beans
2 cans minestrone soup
1 can corn
1 can chopped tomatos
1 lb. browned ground beef
a bit of cabbage, chopped
small bit of onion, carrots, and celery, chopped
1 tsp sugar

I cook this all day, too, and if also freezes well.

Comments

Pam Aries said…
Oooh Thanks! I can easily adapt these to Vegetarian! I make what I call "Winter Wellness" Soup! It has all the good stuff that makes you feel better when you have a cold1 it is ,of course , vegetarian!!! I will post it! It is so good to hear from you!
Lin said…
These sound yummy Sioux!! And what a wonderful tribute to your grand-mom-in-law and to Raf!

So just when is the surgery, hon?
Teri said…
Sioux, what a sweet tribute! I also love soup so have looked these over carefully and it's funny how an addition of one thing (to another recipe) makes it more interesting. Thanks.

Popular Posts