The name originally came, in one story, because a settler named Lovers who settled in Golconda, the first name of Palo Pinto, was out chasing stray cows when Indians spotted him. He was able to hide from them in a cave above Eagle Creek near a spring. He was successful in eluding the Indians.
The land was purchased by the Barney Carter family in 1932 is now in the hands of a Carter descendant, Mrs. Eloise Beckworth Davidson. Her son, veteran Carter Beckworth, is buried on the land very near the creek.
This land was part of the John Bird League Survey of 1850 and was the first deeded land in Palo Pinto County. When the Johnsons purchased the league, or 4,200 acres, it was named the Johnson League Ranch. It was sold in the 1940s to Claude Allen, and A. D. Crawford inherited it in 1960. Today it is a working cattle ranch owned by the Crawford family.