Mess - Sunday Scribblings

Sorry I didn't do this yesterday. The prompt came on very late; blogger wouldn't let me log on; then today we were out of town sitting with friends in the hospital...now I'm back!

If you're not from the South or from Texas, you may find this a little confusing, but we call a "bunch" of vegetables or fruit just picked and/or cooked, a "mess". Below you will see two illustrations...one is a "Mess of Turnip Greens" and the other is a "Mess of Beans".

In case you haven't heard this expression before, it is sort of in the category with "fixin'", as in "I am fixin' to go to the store", which, of course, has nothing to do with repairing anything and a lot to do with beginning to do something.

As this is just a short course in Southern.Texan speech, I am fixin' to stop writin', and I'm goin' into the kitchen to fix a mess of beans. Y'all have a good 'un, you hear!



Comments

Dawn said…
Love it! I lived in Arkansas as a kid, so I am somewhat familiar with the "lingo." Too fun.

Popular Posts