Ruby Tuesday...a rose for a Rose


This is my mother's grave. She lived to be 95. She was born in Rising Star, Texas, the daughter of Marvin Tilden and Lora Day (Bee) Routh Bowden. She began driving when she was 10, as her mother was chronically ill and had to be taken to the doctor a lot.

Rose grew up in Brownwood, Texas. Her father owned a furniture store there. Her maternal grandfather had been a Texas Ranger but was later a furniture store owner and, finally, the jailer at the county jail in Brownwood.

Rose was valedictorian of her senior class at the finishing school she attended, and she graduated from Oklahoma University with a degree in elementary education. She also studied piano and voice. Her first teaching job as in Milfay, Oklahoma.

Rose married my father, John McBee Ficke, and I was their only child.

Rose was a member of the Daughters of the American Revolution, as am I. This red rose was placed on her grave by the DAR. A rose for a Rose.

Comments

beautiful photo and very touching story. Thank you for sharing this.
reg said…
yes what a lovely story. The picture is very moving
Terry said…
dear sioux,
it was so nice to see that you have posted a ruby tuesday post.
and i must thank you for all of the visiting you have been doing lately.

how is that turrle doing?

it looks like you have met the little guy that i used to babysit on the lone prairies!

your dear mom would surely have loved these roses and the touching story that you have written here sioux...love terry
Diana Ferguson said…
So glad you found my Texas-Blogging Gals! Will get you on the next updated list.

Enjoyed a first visit. That was a great surprise!

Following......Come see me at my personal blog, too, real soon.
Felisol said…
Dear Sioux,
What an inspiring story about your mother.
She indeed had a rich life, her efforts were rewarded.
I hope the same for you.
I had a good look at your bead blog.
How impressing. You must know a lot of different techniques to come up with that many different designs.

I guess I have heard about The Daughters of the Revolution, but I have forgotten.
Something about the Civil war and Southern bells?
You know my long time favorite novel was Gone with the Wind.

I hope your organization is about love and not about hate.
I expect so.You have shown that much empathy and consideration throughout the years.

I'm still praying for your Joey. He's the age of my daughter.
Very young, very fragile.
All the best to you from Felisol

Popular Posts