Leek Soup...YUM


I have always thought leek soup would be good, but I had never made it. I love the look and smell of leeks, and I always laugh at the episode of Good Neighbors, or The Good Life as they call it in UK, where someone keep stealing leeks, and Tom shot him with an air gun.

So, I decided to make some leek soup. I had to go to Central Market in Fort Worth to get the ingredients. Can't purchase good, fresh veg in Mineral Wells, or as the kids now call it, M-Dub.

I went online and found this recipe, and it turned out great. Raf took one look at it all and asked what he was having for supper!! I told him we were both having leek soup, and low and behold, he liked it, too. This is a great recipe, and as with many soups, it was even better the next night!

POTATO LEEK SOUP
3 leeks
4 potatoes, quartered
1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup light cream
1 qt. water or chicken stock
1/4 teaspoon fresh chopped chervil
2 T each chopped celery and shallots
1/8 teaspoon celery seed
parsley to garnish
Peel and quarter the potatoes.

Prepare the leeks by removing the green portions, reserving for another use if desired. Cut down the center lengthwise and wash thoroughly. Chop the white portions finely and sauté lightly with the chopped shallots in half the butter for 5-7 minutes. Add 1 quart of water or chicken stock, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, celery, the quartered potatoes, and simmer 20-25 minutes. Remove potatoes and leeks to a small bowl, reserving using a potato masher, mash to a puree in return the puree to the cooking water. Stir in the milk, cream, and remaining butter, reheating one minute if needed. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Garnish with parsley and croutons.

Comments

Dawn said…
Looks yummy! I love good soup. That's one I've never tried. Sounds like a good idea. Glad your husband liked it too!

Have you explained your new title?
Sue Seibert said…
Well, I love the color aubergine (purple or eggplant) and pensées is a thought, reflection, or aphorism. Guess it means I'm thinking in purple...like dreaming in technicolor !!
Susie said…
I love leek soup, but have never made it. Looks delish :)
Thanks for explaining your new title. Purple dreams or reflections! I like that..
xoxo
mrsnesbitt said…
I adore leek soup. I always add potatoes and basically blitz in my processor!
It's great when hubby's are enthusiastic.....not often Jon isn't but when he says " It tastes interesting" I know it is a no no! LOL!
mrsnesbitt said…
Oh by the way, you american girls and your templates got me going & I have now changed mine! LOL!
Annie Jeffries said…
Looks luscious. I just emailed the recipe to myself.
Mrs. Goodneedle said…
Mmmmmmm... it smells so good, too! ;)
Smalltown RN said…
Potato leek soup is one of my all time favourites as it is my girls...so soothing...yummy...
Susie Q said…
I must try this....it sounds so good and we LOVE soup here!

Hugs,
Sue

Popular Posts