Becky and Norman Marsden have renovated the Lone Camp convenience store, offering not only every day merchandise and items but also a grill and pies that have people going out of their way to purchase. ~~ Mineral Wells IndexToday our friends, Barney and Margaret McCasland, came to visit from Pensacola, Florida, where they had moved last spring. First we went on a little Geocaching Trip around town. Then we went by and picked up Jim Dillard and headed out to Lone Camp to eat at the Lone Camp Cafe (best pie in 5 counties...at least) and visit the Community Center's Arts and Crafts sale...which is on today and tomorrow. The Handbook of Texas Online tells us:
Lone Camp, on Farm Road 4 eight miles north of Santo in central Palo Pinto County, was settled in the 1870s. It had no rail or major road transportation, and its proximity to Santo and Palo Pinto inhibited its growth. A post office operated in Lone Camp from 1907 until 1920. The population was fifty in 1914 and forty-eight in 1940, when the community had two stores. It was reported at thirty-two in 1980 and 1990. The population grew to 110 by 2000.