Banners in Texas

This photo is from Traces of Texas, a Facebook page, with the following quote: Traces of Texas reader Doug Banner sent in this incredible photo of John Wesley Banner (seated) on his 100th birthday in Comanche, Texas.  This was taken in 1920.  John Wesley is surrounded by seven of his nine children.  He passed away at the age of 103 and is buried in Comanche.

My grandson, who is a policeman in the D/FW Metroplex, had a friend send him this photo.  It is of a group of people whose last name is Banner, as is my grandson's.  I was able to find information on Ancestry.com about the old man, John Wesley Banner (guess he was a Methodist!).  As you can see I discovered that he was born in Virginia.  My grandson's people came from Banner Elk, North Carolina, and settled first in Jacksboro and then in Fort Worth.  As they married some of my McAnally family who came from Virginia, there may be a clue there.

John Wesley Banner was born on 12 Jun 1820 in Scott County, Virginia.  He married Martha Jane Broadwater (1822-1884) in Scott County on 20 Dec 1842.  His son William (1848-1935, seen right in photo) was born in Aug of 1848 in Virginia.  His wife died 18 Jan 1884 in Comanche, Texas, at the age of 61.  They had been married 41 years.  He died 1 Dec 1923 in Comanche and is buried there.

My grandson wants to know more about these Banners, so I am reaching out to anyone who might know this family.  If you do, please add a comment or contact me on Facebook.  Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

Popular Posts