Woman to Woman--Keeping Your Marriage Alive
"Whether you've been married for 38 years, 8 years or are a newlywed, you've probably picked up a few of the keys to a happy marriage, one which is nurturing and continues to grow. Maybe your marriage has struggled, but you've found a road back to each other and have insights for those in similar situations. What would you say are the three most key elements in your marriage that keep the romance alive and the heart aflutter? "
This is the question Morning Glory and Lei set for us today. At first I thought, "How Hard! I don't know what we've done to keep harmony for 30+ years!"
But then I got to thinking. Not long ago I was asked by a little friend on MySpace to tell how we had kept being married and happy for so long. This was the answer I gave her.
- I married my best friend. If you cannot be friends, there's really no hope for a marriage.
- Be honest. Show all your warts, keep nothing back, share where you've been and where you hope to go. Don't lie!
- Trust God and go to church together. If God isn't put first, and you don't listen to His will for you, your marriage will be over before it begins.
- Don't disagree in front of the children...stick together. Even if you think the other is wrong in a decision regarding the children, talk about it privately, and NEVER allow the kids to play you against each other.
- Have fun. Do things together, not separately.
- Support each other in their and your passions. If your spouse likes to act in plays, help him, support him, go with him. Don't stay at home like a lump!