Daughters of the American Revolution - Truly Patriotic!

When I joined the Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR), I did it at the behest of my mother, Rose Elizabeth Bowden Ficke Sparks.  I think that's they reason a lot of us came to DAR - because our mothers wanted us to!

However, I refused to go in on the patriot she and her cousins had used, Bryan Ward Nowlin. 

You see, in order to join DAR you have to prove a direct line from an American patriot who was active during the American Revolution to yourself.

So, I chose to research a different line, and I went in on Charles McAnally.  Later I chose to prove my lineage to Nowlin, as well.

Sometime I will tell you about both of them, but now I am going to tell you a little about my ancestor Johann Jacob Shrum. 

The Shrum family is not on my mother's side, bu rather on my father's mother's side.  They all immigrated from Germany, but the Shrums came a lot earlier (before 1750), and the Fickes came much later.  My grandfather got here in 1888.

Anyhow, the Shrums came into this country through Pennsylvania, to North Carolina, and finally to Missouri.

Here is Johann's information:

Service:  PENNSYLVANIA    Rank: PRIVATE
Birth: 11-10-1758 York County, Pennsylvania
Death: ca. 1815 Lincoln County, North Carolina
Service Source: MILITARY LOAN, APRIL 1784-INTEREST REGISTER, VOL B, P 114, MIL LOANS OF 1784 AND 1785, "PUBLICK DEBT,REC OF COMPT.GEN PA DIV OF ARCH & MANUSCRIPT
He was under the command of 1) CAPT JAMES JOHNSTON, YORK CO MILITIA 
 
Much later, in fact three generations, the Shrum family married into the McBee Family.
 
Elizabeth Jane Shrum was my great-grandmother.  She had 17 children, and she was only about 4 feet 8 inches tall.

The story goes that when they butchered, it was about 18-20 hogs at a time. It took a lot to feed a family like that. Everybody helped, for it was quite a job to work up that many. The family tells a story about Grandma McBee (Elizabeth Jane Shurm) in the smokehouse. She was a very short woman, and she climbed up on a barrel of sorghum molasses to reach the meat, and the lid tilted, and she fell into the molasses. They said they had a terrible time getting her out and cleaning her up!
Here is Elizabeth Jane, husband James William McBee, and their 17 children.

Comments

Popular Posts